From the creative mind of Simone Montgomery, comes a sport like no other.
Welcome to Splendid Teapot Racing.
The rules (which were kindly published by www.steampunkjournal.org) are as follows:
1. The Vehicle
- Vehicles shall consist of a teapot of the Contestant’s choice, mounted upon a radio-controlled chassis. It is recommended that Contestants consult their local hobby shop or electronics shop for a suitable base vehicle, which may then be modified, tittivated or accessorised as the Contestant sees fit.
- Multi-band controls are available for some brands of radio-controlled vehicles, which may be useful should they wish to compete in any drag race.
- No vehicle shall exceed 30 centimetres in height, 30 centimetres in width or 40 centimetres in length (including any flags, aerials, &c.). Vehicles which exceed these measurements will be permitted to compete, but will be penalized and may encounter difficulties in negotiating the Hazards noted below.
2. The Course
- The Course, which shall be laid out according to the whim of the Judges and without regard to the wishes of any other party, shall consist of a number of Hazards, possibly including a Ramp, a Tunnel, a Jump and/or divers Obstacles of a breakable nature.
- Vehicles must negotiate the Course as specified by the Judges, one Vehicle at a time, within the allotted time of two minutes. Points will be deducted for every 10 seconds over the allotted time. Vehicles which have not completed the course within three minutes will be disqualified. Contestants may, if they wish, walk with their Vehicle as it negotiates the Course.
- At the discretion of the Judges, the contest may also include a drag race. This will partly depend upon there being Vehicles capable of racing together without interference to each other’s radio control systems, although exceptions may be made in the interests of amusement.
Points will be awarded for:
- The overall look of the Vehicle
- Each Hazard successfully negotiated
- Completion of the Course
- Bribery of the Judges
- Showmanship (dress, singing, dancing, jokes, etc)
- Any manual assistance given to the Vehicle (whether by the Contestant or another party)
- Failure to negotiate a Hazard
- Exceeding the specified two minutes’ time limit
- Exceeding the specified size limits
- Inadequate bribery of the Judges, or in any other way vexing said Judges
Prizes may be awarded at the Judges’ discretion for:
- Best overall Vehicle
- Best first-time Contestant
- Most entertaining attempt at the Course
- Most rapid completion of the Course
- Most rapid drag